To Post Recruitment Announcements for Internship and Job Opportunities
Job announcements for internships, service-learning and other work-learning opportunities, as well as post-graduation recruiting are made available to students through the SPA Jobs Bulletin (on the SPA Career Services website), career listserv and through the ASU e-recruitment system - Sun Devil CareerLink. To post your announcement with SPA contact the Career Center Manager. To increase your visibility to additional ASU students and access resumes immediately, you can create a free account in Sun Devil CareerLink
Posting Internship Opportunities
Organizations interested in recruiting with ASU, the College of Programs and the School of Public Affairs should complete a Student Placement Agreement indicating your interest in recruiting and placing students with your organization, agency or business. You have the option of selecting to have the agreement kept on file for up to five years.
- To determine if a Student Placement Agreement is on file, contact the SPA Career Services Manager at 602.496.0450.
- If no student placement agreement is on file, the organization will need to complete a Student Placement Agreement and return it to the SPA Career Services Manager. Note: We encourage organizations to put 5 years (the maximum allowable) for the duration.
- The agreement will be sent to the Dean’s Office for approval. Once approved, the organization will be authorized to provide internships for up to the duration provided on the agreement form.
- Next, we will need
an internship description/announcement (e.g. duties, number of hours, for what term, rate of pay/for
credit/stipend, level of
student-undergraduate/graduate, how to apply, and the application
deadline). You can use the internship announcement template as a guide. Send the announcement to the SPA Career Services Manager, along with any questions and contact information for discussion.
- We will post the details of an opportunity in the SPA Career Services Jobs Bulletin, and send the announcement to appropriate student listservs. We will also promote your internship with faculty and students through available classroom visits, information sessions, print and social media and in individual career advising sessions.
- An organization representative will contact ASU Career Services Employer Relations to confirm the organization has an account in the ASU e-recruitiment system, Sun Devil CareerLink. If not, the representative can open an account and complete an employer profile, post opportunities, schedule information sessions, and review system resumes through the electronic resume book feature. Please contact the SPA Career Manager if you have additional questions.
- We will assist the student and organization, if academic credit is sought, providing an internship course, for which the student registers and completes assigned work related to identifying and successfully completing learning objectives, considering the work in the context academic and career goals.
Once you have selected an intern, you and the student will complete an intern cover sheet containing basic information about the agreement between the student and organization, and return it to the SPA Career Manager.
- The cover sheet is sent to the Dean’s Office for approval. Once approved, one of our academic advisors will register the student in the appropriate class.
Note: A 3-credit undergraduate internship requires a minimum of 125
hours, a 6-credit undergraduate internship requires a minimum of 250
hours during the semester, with scheduling in the fall, spring or summer. At the graduate level, a 3-credit internship requires a minimum of 300
hours during the semester.
At the graduate level, an internship may be completed without application for or receipt of academic credit, in accordance with the students Program Of Study. The selected candidate should discuss this with their academic and career advisors. At that point the SPA Career Manager records the basic agreement information for tracking purposes and will follow up with the organization or student during or after the arranged time period, if requested, or to post additional opportunities for the organization.
The employer does not need to determine whether the internship is offered for credit to get started. We recommend that you complete the agreement and announcement process to get the organization on file as an approved internship site for the future.
Posting Graduate Job Opportunities
To post graduate job opportunities a recruiting organization needs only to contact the SPA Career Services Manager with all the pertinent information for candidates to apply. A job bulletin can also be provided to the Office of Career Services, especially when there are multiple opportunities with an organization or various departments within.
SPA Career Services posts positions on its online Jobs Bulletin, which SPA students and alumni are encouraged to access through an exclusive link. The SPA Career Services Manager sends periodic announcements via several established SPA listservs to remind students and graduates engaged in an internship or job search to use this resource, faculty for their promotion in class and correspondence with students, and advising staff in their consultations with students on skill building and direct application of classroom learning. Opportunities that are multidisciplinary, the SPA CS Manager promotes to the academic or career units of other University departments, colleges and schools.
Many organizations have a website or electronic recruiting system for accepting applications. Information for candidates to access this type of system should be provided in any announcement to the SPA Career Services Office.
To reach a broader base of candidates an organization can also post graduate job opportunities with ASU Career Services via Sun Devil CareerLink. The SPA Career Manager recommends this whenever a recruiting organization seeks candidates from multiple areas of study or has multiple opportunities.
Contact the SPA Career Services Manager at 602.496.0450 or firstname.lastname@example.org